Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok is rumoured to be the next entry in the long-running franchise, however we have yet to have official word from Ubisoft on this. But, today brought with it an interesting leak that spills the beans on numerous gameplay details.
Now, before I get into what the leak has to say for itself, I will point out that the source for this is a 4chan post which was then posted on r/gaming. With that in mind, take everything I am about to say with massive quantities of salt.
With that said, what does the leak say? The most interesting thing is that apparently, it’s going to be a cross-gen title that will launch on Xbox One, PS4, Xbox Series X and PS5. We will also be seeing the official announcement of this game sooner rather than later, at the upcoming Playstation event in February. The release date is also allegedly September 29th, 2020.
That in itself raises an interesting question on whether or not Assassin’s Creed: Ragnarok will be a PS5 launch title. That aside though, the leak had a fair bit to say about the game itself.
– Continues heavy RPG mechanics now including different classes and mild skill tree changes based on class. Player class can be changed by a specific character.
– Combat is upgraded with more weapon types and special abilities for every weapon grouping.- Each weapon can have runes added, be upgraded, and durability increased.
– Weapon durability does now come into play, forcing players to use their weapon pool more effectively and forced to manage a smaller inventory that can be upgraded
– Replacing adrenaline is a berserker mode which also activates special runes like fire, frost, or lightning damage.
– Parkour is upgraded with tree climbing and new animations
– Stealth is upgraded by having physical stealth skills such as hiding in mud, snow, crouching in bushes, hiding in bales of hay, etc.- Players can now also hide in crowds of civilians if their outfit/ armor is appropriate otherwise it can attract attention.
We will also see an inclusion of co-op, which we really hope is executed better than they have done previously. In all honesty, though, I don’t feel the inclusion of a multiplayer feature is necessary for an AC game. The leak also states that the game will be taking a leaf from games such as Fallout, and will feature a reputation system that will lock certain quests behind reputation level.
– Players now have a reputation system based on quests completed for people in cities, the town officials, clothing worn, crimes committed, etc. Some quests and story missions can only be completed after reaching a certain reputation with kingdoms.
One thing I do really hope is true, though, is the level locked regions will not be in this game, and the game will have what sounds like an improved progression system over the more recent entries.
– Levelling is overhauled to allow players to improve skillsets to gain experience, like in Skyrim. As a result, level locking regions and content is gone.
– Some skills are unlocked by reaching a high enough skillset level, some must be bought with skill points, and others are unlocked through game/ story progression.
This all sounds pretty plausible, but given that this game has not even been confirmed yet, this should all be taken with a healthy amount of scepticism. Still, it won’t be long at all until we see the legitimacy of these rumours.