Looks like we won’t be waiting much longer at all for the latest PS4 Update – codename Masamune! PlayStation posted a release date of the 28th October via Twitter:
Yes, less than a week until we can all enjoy the additional (yet some late) features coming our way. I was actually expecting a mid-November release due to the original statement of “we don’t want you guys playing some of the biggest games of the year without the biggest update of the year”. I thought this statement was to imply that the functionality of Far Cry 4, being given to give 10 keys (of 2 hours each) to your friends, would require the Share Play feature and we won’t see it until November 18th. Plus the fact that it’s only just been properly explained and Sony still has plenty of time to hit the end-of-year deadline.
To find out just what will be included and what benefits you will receive in the next system update click here. For further information, see below.
Share Play Explained Further
One thing that has been brought more attention recently is the Share Play experience and what exactly it allows you to do. Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia sent a press release further explaining how the Share Play functionality will work. Let’s be honest, this is what we are most looking forward to J.
Obviously, the Share button will have an additional function, and will allow you to use Share Play. When you enter the Share Play menu you will be able to invite another player in the same party chat directly. This is then separated into three main modes of operation:
- Display host’s game screen for visitor: the host has control of the game.
- Visitor plays instead of the host: the visitor has control of the game. For this particular mode only the host needs to have a PlayStation Plus subscription active.
- Host and visitor play together: both host and visitor can control the game. Only for this particular mode both host and visitor need to have a PlayStation Plus subscription active. The visitor will automatically log out from the PlayStation 4 of the host at the end of the Share Play.
For Music, you will have to create a folder specified in the USB Drive named “Music” for the system to detect the files. Supported formats are MP3, MP4, M4A, 3GP and AAC. Music will be playable during games. The only reason I liked the Sony’s music subscription service is for the ability to play while gaming, but now I can
This does bring up my dislike with the horrible lack of rear USB socket and only two like the PS3. Thumbs up to Microsoft for including a third USB socket, even if it is on the side of the console, which is better than nothing.
New Broadcast Features
- The broadcaster can now display a simple message on the screen.
- Voices of others in the same party chat with the broadcaster can now be included in the Livestream.
- If the broadcast will be on Nico Nico the number of comments will be displayed (this is presumably a Japan-only feature)
- During the broadcast you’ll be able to use the voice controls of the PS4.
PlayStation App Improvements
- A “Recommended” category will be added, including official broadcasts from Sony and those from friends and favorited broadcasters.
- You can favorite the broadcasters you like.
- You can exit a broadcast to operate the menus and still watch the video you left in a picture-in-picture mini-screen.
- You can watch archived broadcasts.
- Broadcasts can be filtered by language.
- The Twitch logo has been added.
I am really looking forward to this release and it’s just around the corner. I’m sure system update 2.0 will make the experience of the PS4 so much better with added benefits of being more than just a games console.
If you want to check out the latest news on Xbox One’s upcoming November update click here.
Other Articles You Might Like
- Killzone Shadow Fall Adds Humor In Latest Version of DLC (9)
- Sony’s Jack Tretton Says PS4 Pre Owned DRM Is “Up to third parties” (8)
- Standalone White PS4 To Release October 17, Says Amazon Listing (8)
- Killzone Shadow Fall Post Mortem Analysis (8)
- PlayStation Now Subscription Announced | Details & Pricing (8)