It’s not terribly long until Rainbow Six Siege comes out, so Ubisoft have kindly provided a run down of what they have in store for the game. This includes free maps, post launch plans and way more.
You can find their entire post here, but I’ve handily put some of the most important bits below.
– The game will be actively supported through gameplay balancing and tweaks, events and competitions, and four major content releases with no paywall on gameplay content.
– Maps and modes will be free and available immediately for everyone.
– A team of over 80 will be listening to feedback and monitoring gameplay statistics to ensure the operator system, multiplayer and Terrorist Hunt game modes will be continually expanded to “meet the demands of an evolving game.”
– Over the course of a year, new content will come in the form of “seasons” that coincide with ranked gameplay. This includes:
– Four new maps (playable on both online multiplayer and Terrorist Hunt)
– Eight new operators, with new primary/secondary weapons and unique Gadget
– New cosmetic items
– New game modes, events and/or activities
Things such as new operators and most weapon skins can be unlocked with earned currency called Renown, or with R6 credits. The only items available exclusively through purchase are aesthetic only.
– Renown is a currency earned in-game and used to unlock new content. It will be earned through Situations and Terrorist Hunt games, or competing in Online Multiplayer matches. It can be used to unlock operators, weapons and weapon skins and post-launch gameplay content.
– There will be five different tiers of skins available initially for purchase and more added post-launch, with Tier 1, 2 and 3 unlockable with Renown and Tier 4 and 5 skins requiring R6 Credits to purchase. Some Tier 3 skins can be unlocked with Renown or R6 Credits.
– R6 Credits are currency which can be purchased through the platform holder and used to quickly unlock wanted items. They can also be sued to buy boosters for Renown, unlock operators and premium weapons skins all without spending Renown. There will be 5 packages available at launch: 600, 1200, 2670, 4920, 7560 R6 Credits.
– Each new post-launch operator can be unlocked by playing approximately 25 hours (or 25,000 Renown). It should only “take between two to three weeks maximum” to unlock an operator and three months between each Season of content, allowing for enough Renown to be saved up.
– Each operator can also be automatically accessed by spending 600 R6 Credits ($4.99 USD). The initial 20 operators at launch will be unlocked much quicker in the base progression system (500 Renown for first operator in a CTU, 1000 for the second, etc).
There will be five different tiers of weapon skins available for purchase with Tier 1, 2 and 3 unlockable with Renown and Tier 4 and 5 skins requiring R6 Credits to purchase. Some Tier 3 skins can be unlocked with Renown or R6 Credits.