A fairly large amount of potentially leaked Xbox One information has been posted on NeoGaf, by a user by the name of ntkrnl.
This user, unfortunately, didn’t grace us with his identity, but he has been filling a forum thread with Xbox One tidbits for the entire day, some vague and some rather specific. In case you’re wondering why this user’s post are being given any credibility at all, the user himself has been verified to be connected to Microsoft by Kotaku but they were sadly unable to verify his claims.
However, the Verge’s Tom Warren, who is known for being a reliable source when it comes to Microsoft related news, has been able to verify a few of the claims made by ntkrnl.
A couple of things that Tom was able to verify (don’t worry, I’ll be sharing the rest with you in just a moment) was ntkrnl’s claims that a white version of the Xbox One will be seeing the light of day, as well as the fact that the X1 will be getting it’s first update this March, which I covered previously. One of the more interesting pieces of confirmed news, though, is that Microsoft is supposedly testing out builds of the Xbox One without a disc drive. I’m not sure if I like the idea of a purely digital console just yet, I think the reliability and speed of internet connections have to improve a lot before that can really become a thing, but it’s possible that Microsoft may offer it as a cheaper alternative alongside the standard Xbox One console.
Supposedly, Microsoft is hard at work trying to figure out ntkrnl’s identity in order to put a stop to the leaks, but that doesn’t really lend any more credibility to his claims.
The unconfirmed rumors / leaks posted by ntkrnl are;
Forza Horizon: “Fall 2014, probably September. Super sexy weather system and… shit tons of co-op/social stuff. 1080P and open-world, so you can road trip with your bros.”
- Halo Anniversary 2 will be 1080p, iffy on the 60fps, maybe not.
- Quantum Break is Holiday 2014.
- Multiplayer confirmed for HA2, same devs as Halo Anniversary.
- Sunset Overdrive is Fall 2014.
- Black Tusk cancelled project was called “Shangheist.” May have involved stealing stuff from the Chinese (though I think that may have been a reference to the name and maybe not the gameplay? Not sure…)
- Fable Legends is Summer 2015.
- Halo 2 Anniversary includes beta for Halo 5.
- Gears of War will probably need a 2.5 year dev time.
- First Titanfall DLC is 45 days from release, then another one 120 days from release.
- No Crackdown 3 news this year most likely, since it’s a 2016 title.
- A list w/dates of the rest of the Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries that Xbone will release in this year.
- White Console plus Sunset Overdrive and a fancy ass controller in October.
- Also a limited edition 1TB box after that in November.
- Halo 2 HD, Halo 3 Port, Halo 4 Port, Halo 5. In the span of one year.
There was also an image shared by ntkrnl of a supposed Titanfall Xbox One bundle, which has been confirmed to a be a real thing. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that this X1 bundle will ever actually hit the shelves, as Pete Dodd, a reliable source of gaming rumor, has said that the bundle was cancelled. Just keep this one in the “maybe” pile. You can view the image below.